Ten Niemans Dislike Ike, Bolt Newsprint Line

Journalists Link Stevenson, Reform Dominion Men Blast US Elections

By David C. D. rogers

While the nation's press likes Ike, most of Harvard's Nieman Fellows wavered to the Democratic side yesterday to predict victory for Governor Adlai E. Stevenson.

Of the 12 journalists from United States papers, ten indicated that they would vote for the Governor, while only two preferred General Dwight D. Eisenhower. The three Niemans from the British Commonwealth declined to guess the election's outcome, while expressing critical amazement at the American campaign system.

Each year the University selects 15 Nieman Fellows from the outstanding U. S. and Commonwealth newsmen. The Niemans spend a year here on leave of absence from their papers, taking as many courses and seminars as they wish.

The Niemans were unanimous on one thing: they all agreed that Robert B. Frazier, of the Eugene (Ore.) Register-Guard, that "people who predict always get in trouble . . ." Frazier's quandary is that his "native intelligence" tells him Eisenhower will win, while by adding up the electoral votes he finds Stevenson ahead 273 to Ike's 258. "I would be interested if somebody would tell me which is superior--my mathematics or intelligence," he said after voting for the Governor.

Another Stevenson supporter with little faith is Kenneth E. Wilson of the Press Democrat, Santa Rosa, California, who admitted yesterday, "I'm voting for Stevenson, but I fear Ike will win . . . Mr. Truman's campaign has hurt Stevenson's chances."

The Governor's campaign converted Chattanooga's Associated Press reporter Watson S. Sims. "Following the campaign closely since Chicago, I was converted by Stevenson's honesty in facing national issues. To me he has talked sense . . ."

Republican John Strohmeyer tersely gave his viewpoint: "For the past four years I have been crime and corruption reporter for the Providence Journal. I'm going to vote period. You can draw your own conclusions." Strohmeyer's stories on corruption have won him either a first or second place in the annual New England AP contest--three of the past four years.

"Heroism and showmanship will not give us the necessary instruments to fight the enemy we face today," the Atlanta Daily World's William Gordon commented. "We need the leadership which will deal with current problems on a purely scientific, and not emotional basis. To me Stevenson represents this leadership."

Ike Losing Independents

Donald D. Jansen, Milwaukee Journal, numbered his reasons for predicting a Stevenson victory: the regular democratic voters will continue to vote the party line--the solid south will not break up; Ike is losing independent votes by failing in his promise not to play politics; and Stevenson's foreign policy is more appealing than Ike's which is "risky" since it may lead to war.

To these points Calvin Mayne, Rochester Times-Union, added, "I think that Ike's strength in the North will not offset the initial advantage the Governor starts with his lead in Southern electoral votes."

Two Niemans summarized the party positions--Arthur C. Barschdorf, Hammond (Ind.) Times, for the Republicans and Melvin Mencher, Albuquerque (N. M.) Journal, for the Democrats.

"Dwight Eisenhower will be the next President, because Ike, the here, is drawing votes that Ike, the Republican, would not be getting," Barschdorf admitted, but added "while he is a hero, he also is a statesman."

Barachdorf then listed six reasons for supporting Eisenhower: 1) He is best equipped to put the U. S. on the offensive in the cold and Korean wars. 2) He is against the philosophy "that economic security of the individual can be bought with the 'other guy's money'" 3) He holds deeds higher then ideals in a civil rights program. 4) He attacks corruption in government. 5) He believes in "purifying, not polluting, the political ambitions of minority groups." And 6) He wants more political power in the states.

Russian Scare

"The central issues in the campaign, it seems to me, played on fear--the Republicans on fear of Russia, the Democrats on fear of another depression," Barschdorf concluded. "Since the more immediate fear is Russia, it will influence much of the voting."

Mencher, who at 25 is the youngest of this year's Niemans, will vote for Stevenson because "he has stated the issues clearly without regard for how his beliefs will affect his chances of winning." He thinks Stevenson will win today because the independent voter is "disenchanted" with Eisenhower. "There are more Democrats than Republicans, but elections are swung by the sizeable block of independent voters, whose major characteristic is an ability to scratch a ballot intelligently.

"Last summer independents were looking at Eisenhower and not at Stevenson particularly; it is always up to the challenger to prove himself. The General's primary error was to forget that his appeal was personal and not political. He set to work to solidify GOP factions, and in so doing, he antagonized independents:"

1) Eisenhower placed isolationists in his inner circle and made peace with the Taft wing--"this conciliation has all the earmarks of capitulation to the independent voter."

2) He criticized McCarthy and then spoke for the election of Jenner and Mccarthy and failed to rid himself of these concessions when the Nixon fund was revealed.

3) The General lost his nerve--"Eisenhower, the crusader, developed into Eisenhower the patchwork politician, with all the parts glued together by his obvious sincerity and humanity."

The Chicago Daily News' Keyes Beech--Pulitzer Prize winner in 1951 who just returned from five years as a correspondent in Japan and Korea--yesterday generalized on a G.I's view of the election:

"I doubt if any G.I. was much impressed by Eisenhower's promise to come to Korea if elected. A lot of important people have been to Korea, but the war goes on. But if Ike had a way to end the Korean war he would get the vote of every man there. So would Stevenson or anyone else. Ike has said he would end the Korean war but up to now he hasn't disclosed how.

"It is pure speculation to try to guess how the G.I. voted, if he voted, which most of them didn't. But generally speak- ing," Beech concluded, "G.I.'s have little sympathy for generals . . ."

Large See for Press

The dominion Niemans gave their opinions on how the world views today's election. The Toronto Star's Robert P. Nielsen noted the Canadian switch to Stevenson. "It doesn't seem possible that Ike would be as feeble a president as he has been a campaigner."

Two things struck Nielsen: "The absurd length of U. S. campaigns and the incredible impact of McCarthyism of your political life . . . I think the U. S. press rates a large boo for having promoted this massacre of freedom."

New Zealand's Ross C. Sayers wondered why America preserves the electoral college, why the candidates use so many prepared speeches, and why U. S. parties lack discipline.

"Oddest thing is that after all these weeks of whistle-stopping, television, button-wearing (all novelties to us), publicity and advertising, probably not more than 50 percent of the potential voters will vote. Why have literacy tests (in 14 states) and poll taxes (in five) to restrict the franchise?

"I'm glad we New Zealanders have a simple ballot paper" he added. "It measures six by four inches . . .