'Red Feather' Will Solicit Funds by Letter

Urging a write-in donation to the United Community Services Red Feather Drive, Pearson Hunt, Professor of Business Administration, announced yesterday that his committee would send letters to all undergraduates asking them to write in "Red Feather" on the Combined Charities card during the November 10 to 17 drive.

The letters will reach students Monday.

Stressing that students have responsibilities to both the local community as well as to student fund drives, Hunt, who is chairman of the University's Red Feather drive, said "student aid is a community matter, and in return student charities should not monopolize student interest."

This is the first time in four years that the Red Feather will not appear on the Combined Charities card.

Carl Sapers '53, chairman of the Combined Charities, commented that Hunt' decision to send out letters "is the proper way for a charity not on the card this year to urge students to contribute to its organization."

Saper's committee left three blank lines on the charity card in order to facilitate write-ins.

"I should like to point out," Sapers said, "that the committee's decision not to put Red Feather on the card is in no way a criticism of the work done by that organization.

"The committee decided in October," he continued, "they would urge students to give primary emphasis to Phillips Brooks House so far as community needs are concerned."

Sapers added: "Phillips Brooks House is in dire need of funds to supplement its endowments if its to continue its useful work among underprivileged children."