New Regulations On Class Absence Due Immediately

The Administrative Board last night revealed important changes in procedure for students who need excuses from classes and examinations.

In a move to simplify the excuse procedure, the following changes were announced, effective immediately, for all College students except freshmen.

1. The Registrar's Office will not notify course instructors a student is excused from an absence unless the student personally asks the office to do so. However, the Registrar will only pass on excuses previously approved by the Hygiene Department or other College authorities.

2. The Hygiene Department will no longer issue excuses for one-day absences for illness unless students miss an hour, midyear, or final examination. Students must tell the Hygiene Department they have these examinations if they expect an excuse to be issued for them.

Once Automatic

Until now, if students were excused from classes for medical, athletic, or extra-curricular reasons, the excuses were automatically sent to the Registrar's office, and from there to the course instructor concerned. With the decentralization of the Dean's office to the Houses, a continuation of this system would have caused costly duplication of records.

The Administrative Board did not, in the new rules, change the system where-by sophomore attendance was taken in courses regularly open to freshmen, as the Student Council had recommended.

The new plan will release the Hygiene Department from the responsibility of sending out excuses for every student illness.

Absences, whether excused or not, will still be recorded on the official records, which go to the House Deans, the Registrar, and the Dean of Freshmen, in the case of '56.