Hockey Team Staggers Tough Tufts, 8-1; Bray, Hubbard, Hathaway Pace 1st Win

By Hiller B. Zobel

It all ended happily at the Arena last night; the varsity hockey team buried Tufts, 8 to 1, earning its first win of the season. But for a while, the intimate gathering of 85 souls wondered if class would tell, after all.

Because at the end of the first period, the allegedly weak Jumbos had held the Crimson absolutely scoreless. The Harvard attack was functioning well enough, but the puck somehow never could find its way behind Hal Taylor, a sophomore from Brooklyn who played a brilliant game in the Tufts nets.

Kicking, sprawling, diving, Taylor blocked all the shots he saw, and many he didn't. This unexpected performance continued until 8:02 of the second period, when Job Bray, falling flat on his back, somehow pushed the puck through.

The Crimson seemed much less tense thereafter, and commenced to play hockey approaching the standard it had exhibited against Boston University Saturday.

Coolidge Scores

At 13:57 defenseman Jeff Coolidge slammed a 30-foot drive off Taylor's pads Dave Bervey converted the rebound easily, and the Crimson had all the points it was to need. With 12 seconds to play in the frame. Captain Walt Greeley sprang Amory Hubbard loose on a picture maneuver. Taylor had no chance as Hubbard swept in all alone.

With the start of the last period, the major issue was settled. Only two minor questions remained: would Tufts be able to keep the score down and would Crimson goalie Carl Hathaway, a sophomore making his first start be able to preserve the shutout. The answer to both was "no."

Doug Manchester utilized a mob scramble to put the Crimson four up at 6:91 and then shot a neat cross-pass which Bray hammered home at 11:44. Bray is currently the team's leading scorer, with four goals and an assist in two games.

Sophomore Scott Cooledge, a smooth-skating sophomore who shows much promise, gave the Crimson its next goal at 14:36, after stickhandling from his own goal.

It was Jumbo Gerry Mahoney, twin brother of the Crimson's Frank, who finally broke Hathaway's spell at 17:30, after the Harvard defense had eliminated itself from the play by an untimely collision, Hathaway, however, played a good, steady game.

Ned Bliss and Hubbard completed the scoring and the rout with a goal apiece in the last two minutes.

The Crimson does not play again until December 26, when it opens a round-robin tourney against Boston College, Boston University, and Northeastern