Fischelis Leaves Dudley Graduate Secretary Job

Whitlock Confirms Resignation Report

By George S. Abrams

The resignation of Robert L. Fischelis '49, Graduate Secretary of the Non-Resident Center since 1950, will be made public at a meeting of the Dudley House Committee tonight, the CRIMSON learned yesterday.

When contacted last night, Charles P. Whitlock, Allston Burr Senior Tutor at Dudley, confirmed the reports and said Fischelis' resignation had been accepted and will be submitted to the Corporation for approval.

Fischelis said last night that his resignation had been submitted several weeks ago and that he and Whitlock would make the formal joint announcement at tonight's meeting.

The Transition

At the same time, he issued the following statement: "I had planned to leave the post at the end of last term but was persuaded to stay on until the transition was made to the new Senior Tutor system. The change has now been made and under the effective leadership of Mr. Whitlock, Apley and Dudley are operating well together as the non-resident Student Center. I have enjoyed my two years at Dudley tremendously, especially since it gave me the opportunity to work closely with those fine men of Dudley."

Whitlock indicated that no replacement for Fischelis had been found as yet, but that a decision may be made within the next two weeks. He added that he expected the present Graduate Secretary to remain active at Dudley in an "advisory capacity."

Fischelis took over as Graduate Secretary at Dudley in the summer of 1950 after the then Secretary, Charles W. Duhig '29, resigned to become Dean of Students at Brandeis University. Duhig had held the post for 18 years prior to his resignation.

Fischelis also replaced Duhig as graduate secretary of Phillips Brooks House.