Graduation Hits Track Team Hard

McCurdy Counts on Sophomores Rittenburg, Grand, Little, Howe, Ingle to Fill Gaps

By Howard A. Corwin

Fielding a winning team on two weeks of practice is a tough job for any coach--even if he gets all his stars back. But track coach Bill McCurdy inherits only the bare remnants of the team he piloted to an undefeated outdoor season last year. The graduation of winners such as Ronnie Berman, Ed Grutzner, Dave Cairns, Bill Geick, Charlie Durakis, and Dave Gregory have left the biggest gap in track strength in recent years.

Sophomores Must Come Through

Because of the heavy loss, McCurdy is counting on his upcoming sophomores to fill out the team. He will not only have to find depth in his squad, however, but also improve his top men for a year against strong Ivy League competition.

The present squad is a strong as last year in the dash, broad jump, pole vault, 600, and 35-pound weight, but definitely weaker in the mile, two mile, high jump, and shot put. The 1000-yard run is the same as it was last year--poor.

McCurdy feels that his biggest replacement problems are in the high jump and shot put. Dick Barwise, Harvard high jump record holder and a consistent 6 foot 2 inch jumper, was the team's only threat. Now Bob Rittenburg. Ty Smith, and Don Whitehead are left, but none have broken six feet yet this year.

In the shot event the story is the same with Bob Ray gone. Juniors Dirk Walecka and Gil Murray are the team's best, and neither has thrown more than 45 feet. Murray fell into a slump after bettering 49 feet as a freshman, and rarely threw over 45 last year.

With the exception of the broad jump, the other field events aren't particularly strong. There is a potential winner in almost every event, but over-all depth is lacking. Both Bob Mello, a consistent 13 foot-plus pole vaulter, and Bob Curran, a 35 pound weight thrower who does about 53 feet, are relatively alone in their events.

Broad jumping prospects are a bit brighter, with Mello, Rittenburg, and Captain Pete Curran all doing around 22 feet.

Running Events Look Good

In the running events, the team may show surprise strength. But until time trials are completed during the next three afternoons, definite starters will not be announced.

The 40-yard dash will probably have Bob Twitchell, Herb Collins, and Charlie Arena, with Pete Curran an outside possibility.

The 600 is the hardest hit race in loss of name stars--Berman, Packard, and Grutzner. This, however, is the event where replacement prospects are best, with Alan Howe, Paul Grand, Renny Little, Pete Coker, and Phil Meyers competing for starting positions.

Former cross country captain Emil San Soucie will come down from the two-mile to run the 1000, with Jack Richards and Guido Perera. These three, along with former freshman captain Dave Ingle and Dud Uphoff, are candidates for the two mile relay.

Hubie Maguire looks like he may stage a comeback in the mile, but he is relatively unsupported. He ran 4:28 as a freshman, but was slowed down by leg injuries last year. Along with him will be the inexperienced Al Blaylock and Dimitri Nabakov.

In the two mile, cross country captain-elect Hal Gerry will lead the way, and trailing him by quite a bit will be Marsh Childs, Frank Nahiglan, and Bill Chrisman. Gerry may not run this weekend because of illness.

The mile relay will feature last year's undefeated freshman runners, who set the University freshman record as well as winning the B.A.A. and Knights of Columbus meets. Alan Howe, Rittenburg, Grand, Coker, and perhaps Phil Meyers, will run the event.

Hurdles should be fairly strong, with Twitchell, Rittenburg, and Smith running. Twitchell, however, may run only the first two meets.

Despite all these troubles, McCurdy seems slightly confident. His only comment: "I'm not going to be using that starting gun for time trials only."