Increased Borrowing Snarls Radcliffe Library Facilities

Radcliffe girls are studying much more than last year. At least they read 4,200 more library books in October than in the same period last year.

This alarming fact, says Ruth K. Perritt, head librarian of Radcliffe, shows merely the normal increase in required reading produced by the stabiliation of the General Education program. The university-wide trend will continue in succeeding years of gen. Ed. courses.

Although Miss Porritt can explain the increase, she and the library staff are having difficulty accomodating it. Since 3000 of these extra books were reserved until 5 p.m., relations between the students and the library have been considerably strained this all.

Girls have been crowded around the ibrary desk for 20 minutes waiting for busy librarians to scurry to the shelves for their books. A student Council committee recommended the addition of another person to take care of the overflow. Although this solution is now under consideration by President Jordan's office, Miss Porritt claims another person behind the crowded desk would not help.

"The reserve system has cutlived its usefulness for Radcliffe," she added. "We can give much better service if the girls come at five when they want their books, instead of rushing to sign up days before, and then forgetting to come for the books reserved."

The fact that three-fourths of the reserved books are never claimed in the basis of the present difficulty, Miss Porritt says. "Each girl must be sure of gelting the book she wants when she wash it."

"A library must work within its students' traditions," she added. The radcliffe students will never legialate the change themselves. They have always conted on the privilege of reserved books.

"We're here to get the books to the girls," Miss Porritt said, "and I'll do anything to help. But they can no longer expect the services of a small library. We can't resrve books for 1000 girls who gorget about them." A reserve books for 1000 girls who forget about them." A reserve system like Radcliffe's is feasible only in a small departmental library. Miss Porritt admires Lamont's system of releasing books at 9 p.m., when they will be used. A book from the Radcliffe library is usually idle between 5 and 8 p.m.

To replace the reserve system Miss Porritt would let the books in demand go at 4:30, although they will remain on closed reserve during the day. If the books don't have to be handled twice to prepare the reserves, she believes, the problem of extra work will no longer exist.