MORE PUDDING, PLEASE

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The Hasty Pudding engaged me to produce their show, Strike While It's Hot. As a person who has made his living in the theater for the past few years, I have discovered that one of the ways to make a musical production successful is to have well-executed scenery and lighting, well-designed costumes, good choreography, and good direction, in addition to the words and music.

I have just read Michael Maccoby's review in today's CRIMSON. As far as I know, Mr. Maccoby was assigned by the CRIMSON to review a production. It seems he does not know the difference between reviewing a production and writing literary or musical criticism. How any reviewer can see a musical production and fail to notice in any shape or form, tasteful or otherwise, the previously mentioned elements of musicals, except briefly touching on the directorial work, is beyond me. The fact that there are eight dances in this show, colorful sets, etc. has not been properly conveyed to your reading public. Herman E. Krawitz

The Choreography in "Strike While It's Hot" is quite good, especially the barroom scene at the end of the first act and the Indian ballot in the second act. The production's scenery, however, was tiring. Only when a hotel frame was moved before the broad expanse of exaggerated desert did the main set lose its flat character. In contrast, design of the barroom set combined with the lighting in that scene sat off the ballot well.

I feel the costumes, in most cases, were too garish, especially the Indian suits and the costume worn by James O'Neil. I realize the designers mean these costumes to create humorous impressions, but in these cases the clothes were a bit too stereotyped. On the other hand, the D.A.R. costumes were just right for the satire.

I also think that Donn Flachor's direction gagged up the musical more than it should have, and he must take the blame for the cast's excessive mugging. The first set moves too slowly, and in the second act there are often too many characters rushing around for no apparent purpose.

In all, however, the Pudding has a lively production, and the performers do a good job with their material. For nonprofessional production, the show to remarkable in many respects. But it shows a marked lack of organization and direction.   M.M.