Indians Top Five 59-57, for Sixth Straight Defeat

By Jere Broh-kahn

Still the poorest squad in the lvy League, the varsity basketball team lost its sixth straight game and its second to Dartmouth, 59 to 57, at Hanover Saturday night. The Crimson now has an 0-5 won-and-lost record in the Eastern Inter collegiate Basketball League.

The two Dartmouth players who helped upset the Crimson at Hanover last year set the pace again Saturday. Six foot five inch forward Fred Gieg scored 18 points for the Green. But the surprise standout in the game was Zack Boyages. Boyages also scored 18 points, but he included the winning basket in his total, a long set shot with about three minutes remaining in the game, which put the Indians ahead, 59 to 55.

After that, the Crimson had several chances to score. Forrest Hansen closed the gap to two points with a one-handed shot from the foul line with the clock reading 2:30 to go. Dartmouth then forze the ball until only 45 seconds were left, when a wild pass gave the Crimson one more chance. The varsity couldn't get close enough to acore, however, as Bob Gremp's two long shots went wide of the mark.

Indians Lead Most of Game

Dartmouth really deserved to win this game--they led or were tied all the way except for a few minutes in the third quarter. After getting off to an early lead, the Indians led, 14 to 12, at the quarter. The Crimson managed to pull up to a 28 to 28 tie at the half, and even went ahead, 36 to 32, on Gerry Murphy's four points early after the intermission. But the Indians went into the lead to stay again. 50 to 42, at the end of the third quarter.

Ed Condon, the Crimson's leading scorer with 11 points, played an aggressive floor game. Bill Dennis and Dick Lionette both scored ten points, with most of the latter's coming in the final quarter.