Champion Lacrossse Team Starts Briggs Cage Drills

By Hiller B. Zobel

Thirty-five lacrosse players, veterans and rookies, last night started the varsity on its way to a defense of the New England Intercollegiate League Championship. But nine members of that title-winning team have been graduated, leaving Coach Bruce Munro a major reconstruction job.

Munro spoke briefly to the squad, then watched a light workout, of the "loosening-up" variety, in Briggs Cage.

"We'll take it easy the first few days," he said. "The light in here is pretty tricky, and it takes a while to get used to following the flight of the ball.

"After that, though, we'll start right in with conditioning and wind sprints," he promised.

Early-term commitments cut last night's attendance somewhat, but Munro expects more than a full turnout by the end of the week. Freshmen will not report for some time, he said.

All-Star Team

Among the missing was Captain Jay Byrne, attending a Naval Reserve drill. Byrne, one of the top defensemen in the country, was recently selected to the League's All-Star team.

Joining him on the first ten were attackman Rick Hudner, captain last year, and Dick Post, midfielder, also a 1951 graduate. Goalie Syd Clark earned a berth on the second team, while Fred Coburn. Dave Waring, and Bill Plissner received honorable mention. All were graduated in June, an indication of the tremendous task which Munro faces.