Faculty Group Approves Plan Giving Tutorial to All Sophomores, Juniors

New Program Will Set Up Small Groups; Individual Tutoring Won't Be Affected

By Philip M. Cronin

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences yesterday approved a plan providing tutorial for all sophomores and juniors in the five major departments. The recommendation, the final part of the the Report on Advising, will take effect during the coming academic year in the departments of Economics, English, Government, History and Social Relations.

The plan will organize tutorial groups beginning with the sophomore year in each of the Houses and the Commuter's Center. There will be no reduction of individual tutoring of juniors and seniors. Instruction in the smaller departments will continue under present rules.

Provost Buck said last night that "because the faculty overwhelmingly passed the plan, they showed an interest in revivified instruction. The plan is part of the overall plan of the General Education program and is concerned with the Houses as intellectual centers."

Six Points

The plan presented by Myron P. Gilmore, associate professor of History, as passed by the Faculty follows:

1. All sophomore and junior concentrators, and all senior concentrators who are candidates for honors shall be tutored either individually or in groups.

2. Tutorial groups ordinarily shall not exceed six students, and shall meet at least once every two weeks.

3. Students shall be graded on their tutorial work in terms of "honor," "pass," or "fail," and such grades shall be available on their records.

4. Senior tutors in the Houses and in the Non-Resident Students Center (Commuter's Center), and the Dean of Instruction at Radcliffe College shall be considered to have special responsibilities for working out, with the departments, the organization of tutorial groups for sophomores on a residential basis.

5. No reduction in the amount of individual tutorial now offered to juniors and seniors who are candidates for honors is required by these rules.

6. No department is required to provide tutorial instruction for seniors who are not candidates for honors.

Directed by Senior Tutors

The Report on Advising, shifts the functions of the Dean's Office to eight senior tutors assigned to the seven Houses and the Commuter's Center.

Under the Gilmore plan, tutorial groups will be organized by the Senior Tutors under the direction of the Dean of Students who will be Dean Leighton. The Senior Tutor will advise students living in the Houses.

Radcliffe will provide both individual and group tutorial in the five largest departments through cooperation with the College faculty departments and the Radcliffe tutorial house.

The report states that "the organization of sophomore tutorial on a residential basis is particularly important, not only to counteract the complaints of students from the teaching staffs in the large fields of concentration, but also as a means of developing further the Houses as centers of the intellectual life of undergraduates."