Students Show Fake 'ID' Cards for Liquor; Violators May Suffer Legal Punishment

Falsified draft cards, drivers' licenses, and hunting and fishing licenses are being used by minors to obtain liquor, the CRIMSON learned yesterday.

Jim Cronin, proprietor of the Dunster Street establishment, said he now refuses to serve liquor to men who do not appear to be 21, "whether they have identification or not." The reason for this, Cronin revealed, is that "phony draft cards are being printed in Boston and sold for 50 cents."

Other Jevices, he added, are being used. "Men who carry drivers' licenses from states that do not use photostats often change the date of birth." Still another method used for false identification is to change the date of birth on hunting and fishing licenses.

At the Central Square headquarters of the Cambridge police, one officer said that the police "believe a Harvard student has been printing and selling the cards."

Patrick F. Ready, Chief of Police, claimed that he has no knowledge of the printing and selling of false draft cards. He added, however, that if a dealer sells liquor to a minor carrying false identification, both the merchant and the minor will be liable to court action.