Yale Beats Varsity and Freshman Track Teams; Berman and Ray Win

NEW HAVEN, Feb. 16--If anyone had predicted that Yale was going to beat the Crimson track team by over 30 points here today, he would have been besieged by anxious bettors. But the Elis did just that as they scored their 19th straight indoor track win, 69 2/3 to 39 1/2. The Blue freshmen also won, 58 1/2 to 50 1/2, on the strength of a two-mile relay win.

Yale, a slight favorite, managed to turn the meet into a rout by stringing together a series of above-average performances. Mike Stanley, who proved himself a potentially great runner today, and Tod Lewis led the Elis with two wins apiece. Stanley, in addition to winning the 1000 in near record time, ran away from the Crimson's Dave Cairns to take the mile in 4:22.8.

Lewis' two wins were a big surprise. The Yale junior got off the best broad jump of this season when he leaped 23 fee, 4 5/8 inches to beat pre-meet favorites, Bill Geick and Bob Mello. Lewis' second upset came when he edged the Crimson's Bob Twitchell in the 60-yard dash. Twitchell, however, earlier picked up one of the Crimson's four first places by taking the hurdles.

The three other Crimson wins were provided by Ronnie Berman in the 600. Bob Ray in the shot, and the mile relay team. Berman's performance was the high point of the meet from Harvard's point of view. Yale's two top-night-middle distance men, John Meader and Dick MacDougal, were decisively outclassed as the Crimson senior put on one of his best showings of the year.

The Yardlings' loss was a tough one. They matched their Yale counterparts right down to the wire only to drop the last and deciding relay. Bob Rittenberg and Bob Stevens of the Blue each scored two wins