Southern Club Head Attacks HLU Methods

5 More Clubs Sign; Petitions Circulated

James C. Currey '52, president of the Harvard Southerners Club, last night condemned the Liberal Union's publicity campaign following the fiery cross incident, commenting, "It has followed the usual popular-front methods of a handful of deliberate agitators."

Meanwhile, five more organizations yesterday agreed to sign the Liberal Union's petition protesting the incident, H.L.U. President Paul M. Levine '54, stated last night. He also announced that the Liberal Union will commence a door to door campaign today in Lowell House for petition signatures.

Hits Bad Publicity

When asked to sign the petition, Currey said that he would call a meeting of the Club officers. He later stated that the H.L.U.'s efforts have "brought unfortunate and wholly disproportionate attention to the matter, and (are) as much to be condemned as the original occurrence."

The organizations that yesterday gave their approval to the Liberal Union petition are the World Federalists, the Young Republican Club, the Appleton Club, the Catholic Club, the Zionist Club, and the Christian Fellowship.

Council May Act

Levine said that unless the petition is signed by at least 90 percent of the college, it will be ineffective and the Lowell campaign will be carried to all the Houses. If the petition receives overwhelming support, he said, it will be given to the wire services "to combat the unfavorable publicity engendered by this incident throughout the nation."

Student Council President Richard E. Johnson '53 said last night that the Council will consider the petition, possibly at a special meeting.