Crimson Track Team To Run in Heps Today

Twenty Crimson trackmen journey to New York and New Haven today to compete in the annual Hoptagonal Championships, with the Crimson as distinct underdog. The field events will be held at Yale and the running in New York's 102nd Armory.

Army will be a heavy favorite to run away with the team championship after its showing in the IC4A meet last weekend. The Cadets finished second behind Manhattan. Yale, Princeton, and Cornell are also considered powerful contenders, with Brown as a possible dark horse.

Ronnie Berman and Bob Mello will lead the Crimson contingent. Berman is one of the favorites in the 600 despite his failure to place in the IC4A, while Mello should score in the pole vault.

Bill Geick is considered a threat in the broad jump. The Crimson captain cleared 24 feet last spring, but has been having trouble this season getting his steps down. Bob Twitchell in the hurdles, Pete Curran and Dwight Black in the weights, Bob Ray in the shot, and Dave Cairns in the mile are the other chief hopefuls.

Harvard will be represented in both the mile and two-mile relays. Phil Meyers, Paul Sheats, John Packard, and Berman will make up the mile team, while Guido Perrers, John McGrath, Cairns, and Dave Gregory are scheduled to run in the two-mile event.