Longer Papers Due in Gen. Ed.

Freshmen can expect several important changes in General Education A this term, Harold C. Martin, lecturer on General Education, said yesterday. Papers will be longer and no final exam will be required in June.

The second part of the course will be devoted to the writing of 600 word papers every other week. These seven papers will have topics similar to essays in other G.E. courses, and are designed to teach the fundamentals of construction. Reference material for six of the papers will come from the two texts, while the last one will include library reference work. Sections will continue to meet once a week.

Martin said that the change was no reflection upon the first part but has been planned for sometime. He stated that the committee "won't be able to tell if the first part was a success until it can read the student's papers during the term." He added that the longer papers should bring out the analytical work taught earlier.

In the first term, freshmen wrote 200 word papers every week, which emphasized the four expository actions; defining, describing, judging, and proving.