Five Seeks Upset Tonight Over Fast Quaker Team

The varsity basketball team will be up against a tough opponent when it tries to snap out of a four game losing streak against Penn tonight at 8:30 p.m. at the Blockhouse. The once-beaten freshmen will meet Nichols Junior College in the 6:30 p.m. opener.

The Quakers are good and fast and, according to coach Norm Shepard, one of the two beat teams in the Ivy League. Penn is currently leading the League with a 5-0 record.

Shepard says speed will be the important motor in the game, and he is revisiting his lineup in order to keep up with the quicker Penn team. Gerry Murphy will replace the slower but bigger Ed Blodnick. The other forward is Bill Dennis. Dick Lionette will start at center, while Ed Krinsky and Ed Condon will be at the guards.

Shepard stated that the quintet just didn't have the necessary practice before their loss to Springfield Saturday, but that the "boys are sharper now." He believes the Crimson can spring an upset.

The mainstay of the Quaker attack is Ernie Beck, a 6'4" junior. Shepard calls Beck an "amazing ball player who can jump like a man 6'8" and move like a guard." Beck can score too, as evidenced by the fact that he led the Ivy League last year in scoring with 558 points, and is tied with sophomore teammate Dick Heylmun with a 17 point average in this year's League play.

Penn Coach Howie Dallmar plans to start Beck at center, with Heylmun and Captain Don Scanlon playing forward. Tom Holt and Bob Brooks, both well under six feet, will team at the guards.

The Yardlings will be looking for their sixth straight win of the season when they play Nichols. The freshmen have lost only to Brown. Coach Floyd Wilson will start his usual lineup of Paul Shaw and Harry Sacks at forward, Dick Manning at center, and Roger Bulger and Captain Rollin Perry at guard.