Business School Graduate Donates 5 Fellowships Honoring Dean David

Eight northwestern colleges are sifting candidates for the five new Donald Kirk David Fellowships in Business Administration, Associate Dean Teele announced yesterday.

George F. Jewett '19 of Spokane, Washington, and his wife established a new fund this spring for sending graduates of Utah, Jdaho and eastern Washington colleges to the Business School. They asked that the fund be named in honor of Dean David, who is a native of Moscow, Idaho. Jewett graduated from the Business School in 1922.

The awards will finance two years at the School. A faculty committee from the eight institutions will select the Fellows from those who have already been screened by their respective institutions and admitted to the Business School. Acceptances to the School are being mailed out now.

Stipends for the David Fellowships will vary according to the recipients' need. Vernon R. Alden, Director of Financial Aid, estimates that $2,000 per academic year is sufficient for single men, although married students may require $2,600 to $3,000.

Moral Commitment to Repay

"The Fellowship grant may be considered an "advance-in-aid," Alden said yesterday, "for which the student would assume no legal obligation to repay, but rather a moral commitment."

Ordinarily, students receiving grants must first borrow up to $1,500, which they are legally bound to repay. This requirement is being waived for these fellowships.