Divinity School's Drive Must Meet Goal by '54

$5,000,000 Needed Or Will Drop Plan

If the Divinity School's drive for funds has not met its goal of $5,000,000 by 1954, no improvements in the plant will be made, the CRIMSON learned yesterday.

The campaign began last month, when President Conant announced that the Corporation had finally acted on the report of the Committee to Investigate the Divinity School. The report was submitted in 1947. Since then the Committee and the Corporation have been working on plans for the revitalization program.

University officials have said if the fund-raising program fails, the Corporation would have to reconsider the problem. The Corporation has voted to supply an extra $1,000,000 if the quota is reached.

Due to the specialized nature of the field, the success of the drive depends on a few large donations, which would probably be supplied by non-Harvard graduates, the officials said. They cited as their reason the fact that most funds for graduate schools come from alumni, but due to the relatively low income level of Divinity School graduates, a sizeable contribution could not be expected from this source.

No Interference

The Divinity School drive probably will not interfere with other University fund-raising campaigns, such as the scholarship program. A special committee has been set up to make sure that these campaigns do not conflict.

John Lord O'Brian '96, chairman of the Divinity School Endowment fund, could not be reached for comment last night.