Planned Vets' Aid Cut Should Cause No Dollar Crises

Korean veterans attending Harvard will be in a good financial position despite the proposed $150 cut in educational aid in the pending G.I. Bills. John U. Monro '34, counsellor for Veterans and head of the Financial Aid Bureau, yesterday termed the two bills being considered by Congress very "generous," although he added that the cut will be unpopular in the face of rising costs.

The Administration and Teague bills, which the House Veterans Affairs Committee is currently working on, call for direct payment of money to the G.I.'s as well as general reductions.

Monro said that he looks upon veterans as having a $1,000 scholarship from the start. With a little help from home and summer work, the veterans should have little financial trouble, according to the former Navy officer.

Wasted Money

Under the old G.I. Bill, each veteran received $500 a year for tuition, books, fees, supplies, and equipment, which the government paid directly to the College. In addition he received an allowance of $75 a month, bringing his total to $1,175 a year for an unmarried man. Monro said that under this system, with the Veterans Administration paying directly to the College, it involved a dollar's worth of paper work to buy a five dollar book.

Under the proposed Administration Bill, the government would pay half the tuition up to a maximum of $300, and living expenses would be $80 a month, totalling $1,020 a year.

The Teague Bill resembles the Administration Bill, but would provide about $270 a year for tuition coming out of the $110 a month allowance.

According to Monro, the two bills would greatly eliminate the graft that was present under the old G.I. Bill by allowing the veteran to handle all his bills himself.