Abbott Scores 4, as Puritan Six Trounces Branford at Yale, 10-5

Second line center George Abbott paced Winthrop House's champion hockey team to a 10 to 5 win over Yale's Branford College at the New Haven Arena yesterday afternoon.

Abbott flipped in three straight goals, all on assists by wing-man Larry Nichols, to open the Puritans' scoring late in the first period. He also got a fourth in the second period, this time unassisted. Dave Cabot and Fritz Drill each collected two, while Wally Flynn and John Cooke got one apiece.

Drill, led the first line with three assists in addition to his two scores. Cabot got two, and Flynn and Cook one each to complete the Winthrop totals. Harry Sprague, fast skating wing, led the Eli team with two goals.

Harvard Gains Edge for Trophy

The win gives Harvard the edge in annual competition for the Harkness trophy, with four victories to Yale's two in the last six years.

Branford's sextet, playing their second game in two days, just couldn't keep up with the Winthrop outfit, which won the House league title in a play-off with Dudley last week. The Puritans, sparked by the play of goalie Rog Taylor, were six goals up before Branford could manage to score, and at one point in the third period had a 9 to 3 lead.

Puritans Bob Kiggen and Larry Bloom were outstanding on the defence.