Hair Runs Gamut; Pony to Poodle

By John Forand

All the news and photographic material in this supplement were complied under the supervision of Margaret E. Fechheimer '52, Radcliffe Bureau Chief, and Rowena V. Strauss '53, of the Business Board. The CRIMSON gratefully acknowledges the assistance in modeling the fashions herein displayed.

Models

Betty Bagby '52; Marie Beaupre; Marie Boissevain '53; Lorna Briggs '55; Gwen Brigham '53; Ginny Dahr '55; Rusty Flinton '55; Fay Frenning '55; Pricilla High '53; April Hodges '55; Danny Holmgren '55; Gabrielle Iglesias '55; Rachel Mellinger '52; Daphne Merriam '52; Fay Pratt '52; Judy Raff '55; Margot Ravage '55; Sandi Rosman '55; Janet Titus '55; Teddy Train '55.

Picturers were taken by: Roger Burke '52; Charles Zeitlin '53; Frederick Gooding '54; Will B. Aufseune '54.

Hair styling, history tells us, first came to the New World in the form of a severe off-the-waist pigtail sweeping primly off the pure brow of one Hepzibah Smith, colonist. Spreading swiftly over the continent, it soon replaced the more primitive native styles; pigtails were seen everywhere in the land and few there were who dared to flaunt the dictates of the prevailing fashion.

But now . . . now everything is different. A girl can't hold up her head unless is is caparisoned in a new and striking hairstyle. Stand on any street corner and chalk up the different styles that march, prance, mince, amble by. Bob follows shingle, and weave follows bob; hair is piled up, tossed down and trampled on, pinned with pins, carefully disciplined or just plain rampant. If any two similar styles walk by you know they belong to twins.

If you happen to be blessed with a naturally systematic mind (as I am), you may have noticed several broad categories of hair styles. Most common perhaps are the bobs, especially the wind blows bobs. Depending on the weather and fluctuating fashions on Garden Street you can detect the sephyrblown bob, the tempestblown bob, the northeastblown job, and (on rare days) the simoom blown bob.

Also near the top, if one can venture to speak categorically in these days of rapidly changing whims, are the animal styles. It is the unpreceptive observer who has not seen a horsetail hair around the Square somewhere. The very urchins discuss it as they shine one's shoes. Popular too is the poodle haircut, though in recent times it has been joined by the Old English Sheepdog, the Skye, and (Oh rara avis!) the Russian elkhound hairstyles.

You ask: what ravishing hair do, what bewitching hairfashion, what tempting hair design, is in the ascendant these days? The answer is that no one really knows. It is whispered in some circles that hair is going to be worn more daringly this season but as yet no one knows how daringly. Perhaps the most fearless hairdresser swill venture to adorn a few choice heads with some of the unspeakably modern hairdos which are sifting out of the Balkans these days. But beyond this it is impossible to tell.

We cannot predict the future with assurance (though we may look to it with dread). But we can point to the trend. In general it is away from the neo-breezeblown toward the neo-neat. The pigtail of yesteryear is not yet gone but is is fading fast. No longer does the milkmaid arrange her silken tresses into the wonted braids. Her sister in the big city is likewise gripped by the fever of change. On all sides the idols of the past are falling--even the neo-underbrush, once so secure, is threatened. No one knows what the future may hold.

In the upper right hand corner the model is wearing standard hairdo, the always attractive short bob. Next to her a luscious lass depict the sh' gled hair cut.