The City Manager

Brass Tacks

By Philip M. Cronin

Every Monday for the last nine weeks, the Cambridge City Council has solemnly gathered to elect a city manager. And each time, it has postponed this decision. The present manager, John B. Atkinson, still carries out the functions of his office and will continue to do so unofficially as long as the council procrastinates. For the past ten years, each newly-elected Council has reappointed Atkinson without dispute.

In his ten years of service, Atkinson has accomplished much. Lower taxes, new city vehicles, elimination of hangers-on, better roads, and financial reform have made Cambridge government a model for many other municipalities.

Now reform is no longer an issue. Councillors opposed to Atkinson's immediate appointment feel that the city should start making long-range plans: a capital finance program, extensive building, and gradual change in the school system. They feel that the manager has been negligent in this. Atkinson has been able to keep taxes down, but Cambridge has not had a new school building since the depression.

This has caused much of the hostility against Atkinson. But many city hall officials feel that he has set himself apart like a little dictator. For one thing, they feel that he has circumvented the elected body, securing most of his advice from a "Kitchen Cabinet." And, although he receives a salary of $20,000 a year, he does not work full time for the city. The John B. Atkinson Shoe Company consumes much of his time.

Largely these are petty gripes, most Councillors admit, but they are significant. Councillors insist that Atkinson does not recognize the tremendous pressures brought on legislators. He is too interested in keeping taxes down to fulfill campaign promises. Even worse, he evidently does not realize that he was elected by a coalation--the Cambridge Civic Association. He flaunts this coalition, and Councillors believe that the only way to put him in his proper place is to dangle him on a shoe-string for a while.

At present, the majority of Councillors do not wish to get rid of Atkinson entirely. He is a good administrator, and they realize it. And if Atkinson were fired the Council would have to find a competent successor, a difficult task at best.

Cambridge will probably continue without an official city administrator until Atkinson submits to the requests of the Council. If he will not, the councillors know they have no choice except to replace him.