THE MEDIUM

At the Beacon Hill

By Michael Maccoby

Gian-Carlo Menotti's opera, The Medium, walks a tightrope between reality and fantasy. Within the fog-like entity of the musical drama, a spirit world exists. But it exists only in the mind of the Medium, who projects her world into the lives of the other characters. Menotti's eerie music sustains this mood, as the voices of the Medium and her daughter, Monica, float ethereally through the tense atmosphere, finally focusing outward in the sharp song of fear.

Maria Powers sings the role of the tough, domineering Madame Flora, who is ironically destroyed by the wishes of a dumb child and the fear that presses down upon her. Young Anna Maria Alberghetti's fresh, lyrical voice roams the scales with the ease of a disembodied spirit. Miss Alberghetti, as Monica, shows a remarkable talent for a girl only fifteen years old. The one non-singing lead, mute Tobey, is gracefully and sensually interpreted by Leo Coleman.

In large part, these brilliant performances draw added luminance from Enzo Serafin's photography and Menotti's direction. Menotti guides his characters, so that every motion is meaningful and fluid, erasing all the jerkiness and guachery usually associated with the gesturing of opera performers. Serafin's camera work creates the electric air and studied equilbrium through sharp contrasts and quick transitions. The Medium, in short, is a superb welding of acting, music, and photography into an integral entity.