Stassen Hits Draft Uncertainty; Asks Men to Select Service Age

DOVER, N.H., March 3--G.O.P. presidential candidate Harold E. Stassen today said that draft-eligible men between the ages of 17 and 27 should choose the time themselves when want to serve in the armed forces.

"Our youth at present are under too great a degree of uncertainty," he said in a campaign speech here before a luncheon gathering of the local Kiwanis Club. "Such a plan would enable them to plan their lives better."

Stassen also called for a "Diplomatic Academy" run by the leading universities to train future American statesman. It would be endowed with funds equal to those of West Point and Annapolis.

Citing the old saying that "America has never lost a war or won a peace," he opposed de-emphasis of the nation's military academies, and suggested that "we emphasize the preparation of our young fighting men for negotiating peace."

The University of Pennsylvania chancellor also called for a "dynamic new foreign policy consistent with the freedom and dignity of man." The three main points of his policy are:

1. Revitalize the Voice of America and take it out from under State Department control.

2. But economic aid on a more business like basis.

3. Reorganize the State Department.

Warning against isolationism, Stassen said. "We do have the motivation for freedom. We are the world leader. If we abdicate this leadership, communism will develop all the more rapidly throughout the world.

"We in America must look forward to years of struggle and contest," he added.