Soph Five Meets Tufts Tonight; Triumphs in Intra-Squad Contest

By Jere Broh-kahn

Varsity basketball coach Norm Shepard yesterday tried a new way to pick a starting team for the game at 8:30 p.m. tonight with Tufts in the I.A.B. While he himself was off in New Haven scouting Yale for the game Saturday, Shepard set his sophomore players against the juniors and seniors in a battle for starting assignments.

Eventually, the sophomores, with the help of junior Stan Greene, won 52 to 50, in an overtime period, and committed Shepard to start five of them together tonight for the first time this year. The group includes Ed Blodnick, Ed Condon, Bill Dennis, Ed Krinsky, and Bob Gremp, who will probably replace Greene. Gremp missed practice yesterday, but his good play in recent games indicates Shepard will continue starting him.

Yesterday's intrasquad game was one of the most exciting seen in the I.A.B. this year. The losing Blue team with Woody Hansen, Bill Hickey, Dick Lionette, Ambie Redmond, and Captain John Stevenson led the Yellows at half-time, 36 to 15. But the Yellows pulled up to a 46-all tie late in the game. Redmond, however, scored on a layup and later a fast break to give the senior-junior combination a four-point edge with a minute remaining.

But the sophomores gamely came back, with Dennis sinking two foul shots to put the Yellows only a field goal down with two seconds left. After an out-of-bounds play, Dennis scored again on a long jump shot to put the two teams in a 50 to 50 tie and necessitate a three-minute over-time. The only score in that period was Ed Condon's jump shot in the first minute, but that was enough to put him and the other sophomores on the starting team.

Yardling coach Floyd Wilson, who accompanied Shepard to scout Yale, named his customary first five for the game with the Tufts freshmen at 6:45 p.m. tonight.