Two Join Douglas In Judging Ames Finals Arguments

Charles E. Clark, 2nd federal circuit judge in New Haven, and Harold P. Williams '03, justice of the Massachusetts supreme judicial court, will join Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas as judges of the final argument of the Ames Competition this year. The final argument, which will be heard on March 17, will concern the conflict between Constitutional and International Law.

Four mock arguments have been scheduled in the quarter finals of the Competition, for April 1, 3, 7, and 10 at 8 p.m. in the Langdell Courtroom. The Hon. Louis Goldberg, justice of the Massachusetts Superior Court will act as chief justice for the first argument, assisted by Arthur J. Santry and Robert I. Hunneman '28 of the Boston Bar, as associate justices.

A chief justice has not yet been found for the second argument, but Frank Kozol '24 and John R. Hally of the Boston Bar will act as associate justices. The Hon. Philip Halpern, judge on the New York State Supreme Court at Buffalo, will judge the third argument. The associate justices will be Reuben L. Lurie '19 and Benjamin A. Trustman '22 of the Boston Bar.

The Hon. Joseph L. Hurley, judge of the Massachusetts Superior Court, will be chief justice for the fourth argument. Associate justices will be Thomas H. Eliot '28 and Claude R. Branch of the Boston Bar.

The first case raises questions in the field of corporation law, while the second case involves the constitutional rights of cities. Case three poses the problem of transit broadcasting. The last case of the quarter finals involves the right of a person to make and sell phonograph records of the Metropolitan Opera's Saturday afternoon performances without permission.