All Air Sci 2 Men May Enter 3rd Year; Mil Sci Uncertain

Sophomores in the Air Force R.O.T.C. unit will probably all be accepted into the advanced part of the course next fall if they wish to be, Colonel Frank H. Bostrom, professor of Air Science and Tactics, indicated last night. The army R.O.T.C., however, is not yet sure of the number of student it will admit to Military Science, although most of this year's students wish to continue.

Both local service units are now waiting for superior headquarters to send them more specifying the number of sopho- sources who can remain in the programs. Boetrom expects the Air Force quote to be almost 100 percent of the applicants, bet Colonel Charies P. Summerall, professor of Millitary Science and Tacties, said Last night that he had no idea what the quota would be for his unit. Quotas are expected to be received for both units sometime in May.

In the past few years, both the Air and Army units have received quotas large enough to admit all men who wanted to enroll in the advance course. But from 1947 until this year, no more that to cadets in either group had aphid to enter in any one year.

99 Army Applicants

Yesterday, however, 99 out of 110 cadets in the Army unit handed in forms to control Summer all indicating they wished to continue in the group next year Most of the 95 A.S.2 students have also shown a desire to enter the advanced program.

Entrollment in the advanced course of either unit entitles student is to ID draft deferments for their final two years of college. After this they are required to serve active duty for two years if. called, and in reserve status for eight years after graduation.

Bostrom and other members of the Air Science Department yesterday began interviewing all Air Science 2 students on the assumption that they will be able to keep them next year. The interviews will last through the beginning of next week.

The Army, however, is not interviewing students until it knows how many will be allowed to continue. Several of those who wish to go on may be refused permission either because of inability to pass physical examinations or by being screened out by the interviewers.

Basic students might also be allowed to enroll in the advanced course in either unit without receiving draft deferments. These men would probably be given deferments if any of the previously deferred cadets dropped from the program.

Air Science 2 cadets have an option of programs in their junior and senior years. Only a few, however, have chosen the flight operations curriculum which now entails serving four years on active duty after graduation. Most of the sophomores and a few freshmen in the group wish to enter the comptroller program and serve only two years in Air Force administrative work after college