Spaak Says Britain Against Joining United Europe Plan

By David C.D. Rogers

Great Britain "neveut pas" (does not want) to join the United Europe Movement and cooperate in solving European problems. Paul-Henri Spaak, former Belgian Minister and first President of the United Nations General Assembly, told the CRIMSON yesterday in a half-English, half-French interview.

He added that he hoped Britain would join, saying. "We must have England with us." Britain is opposed to an over all European Movement, of which he is chairman, and which was founded in 1948 to study possible methods of integrating Europe's politics and economy.

Calling 1952 the "turning point," he said that the proposed constitution for Western Europe was vital as it would be easier for people to make sacrifices "if they have some evidence of our will to unite."

Russian proposals to unite Germany-- like the one put forward yesterday--are directly against any plan for European unity, Spaak said. "If the Russians succeed in uniting Germany it would be a severe blow and would endanger complete severance of Germany from the Western world," he prophesied.

Later, in a speech given before 200 people in Sanders Theatre yesterday afternoon, Spaak said that the future of Europe hangs on the success of three projects: the Schuman plan, the European Army, and the convening of a European convention to draft a constitution The talk was sponsored by the newly formed Harvard Committee on United Europe.

Europe must reduce its tariffs and other barriers he stated, if it is to expect much and from the United States. The failure of Europe to do this is costing her more than $150 billion annually.

We may well be on the eye of a radical change in Europe" Spaak remarked in summary. "In less than ten years the Europe of today mutilated, miserable, timid-can have regained her economic strength, and her spiritual radiance."