Local Democrats Not Surprised by Stevenson Action

Governor Adlai Stevenson's decision not to accept the Democratic presidential nomination caused more regret than surprise among University Democratic leaders yesterday.

Roy F. Gootenberg '49, teaching fellow in Government, and a past head of the local ADA, said last night that Stevenson's decision came entirely as a result of loyalty and commitments to Illinois, and that there was little chance of his running. Gootenberg asserted that the only hope in getting Stevenson to run was a stampede at the Convention, but that "they don't stampede unless the candidate leads them."

Schlesinger Agrees

Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr. '38, associate professor of History, regretfully agreed with Gootenberg that Stevenson would stick to his decision, but added, "he'll probably run in 1956."

Both Gootenberg and Schlesinger named W. Averell Harriman as their new candidate, and predicted that "there will be a mad scramble" among favorite sons until the convention.

The only one who registered any surprise was Charles W. Chastain, III '52, a spokesman for the newly-formed Students for Stevenson club.

He said he was "somewhat shocked. After all, we wouldn't have formed the club unless we thought he was running." Chastain said that the organization would dissolve, with many of the members regrouping when they found a candidate with the same policies as Stevenson.