Annex to Get Own Tutorial Groups, New Center in Fall

Program Is Compulsory for Those in Five Biggest Fields Maintaining Split Education

Mixed Harvard-Radcliffe sophomore tutorial in the five big fields (English, Government, History, Economics, and Social Relations) will be dropped next year, Dean Kerby-Miller of Radcliffe said yesterday. The move came as a result of the new Allston-Burr tutorial set-up at Harvard which will concentrate tutorial in the Houses.

All-Radcliffe tutorial groups, which will be compulsory for all sophomores in these five fields next year, will meet in a new tutorial center at 16 Appian Way.

"Independence"

"This way we will be able to maintain Radcliffe's independence as a separate institution, "Kerby-Miller added. The same tutors will continue to instruct both Harvard and Annex students.

Although tutorial groups in these fields were, for the most part, either all-boys or all girls before the now plan, this change will make separate sections universal Shifting the Harvard tutorial to the Houses precipitated the change in the Radcliffe tutorial system.

The new tutorial program will not involve Sophomores in fields outside the big five, in which 60 percent of Radcliffe girls major. Students in other fields will continue to receive tutorial according to regulations of each Department.

The new tutorial center at 16 Appian way recently used as a Graduate Students Center, was formerly used for tutorial offices.

"Gracious living" will be added to the separate but equal" facilities at the new center, for officials hope that tea will be served in the afternoons.