Ward To Pitch in College, BU Game

Terriers Called Strongest Team Since War; Contest Set for 4 p.m. on Nickerson Field

By Winthrop Knowlton

Righthander Bob Ward, who lost a five-hitter to the Army last weekend, will receive his second starting assignment of the season today when Stuffy McInnis' nine clashes with Boston University on Nickerson Field at 4 p.m. Producer of a brilliant two-hit shutout over the Terriers last year, Ward will attempt to repeat that performance this afternoon against what B.U. officials call "far and away" the strongest team they have had since the war.

In four starts, the Terriers have defeated Northeastern, M.I.T., and Tufts, and dropped a decision to Boston College. This afternoon they plan to start righthander John Kowalski, a junior, who gained credit for the victory over the Engineers. The home team's power will be provided by Don Russell, the shortstop, Jim Hurley, the centerfielder, and Harry Agganis, the first-baseman. On Monday Agganis hit two 400-ft, home runs and a single against Tufts.

Coach Stuffy McInnis plans to stick with the same lineup that produced the 11-0 victory in the second game of Saturday's doubleheader. The only change will be a switch of positions between Captain Charley Walsh and Dick Clasby Wash going behind the plate and Clasby taking over in centerfield. Otherwise, Ed Krinsky will be in the leadoff spot again playing shortstop, John Canepa will be at second base, and Ray Maesaka at third.

McInnis was fall of praise yesterday for Maesaka's performance at West Point. "He took over that infield like a veteran," he said, "and that's what made the difference for us." The stocky Hawaiian, who has recovered from the broken ankle he suffered last season with the freshmen, handled four chances in the field flawlesly and contributed a single and a double to the attack, driving in two runs.

The Crimson mentor was also pleased with the way pitcher Ward settled down after his shaky first inning, striking out five men and giving up no earned runs during the next four frames.

The ex-major league star attributed Saturday's initial defeat largely to "over-anxiousness." Several men were caught off base, the infielders made mistakes, and the hitters were nervous. "This was only natural." McInnis said, "since it was our first game and Army's seventh."

The lineup for today's game:

Krinsky, ss; Robinson, rf; Johnson, 1b; Walsh. c; Akillian, lf; Clasby, cf; Maesaka 3b; Canepa, 2b; and Ward, p.