LINING THEM UP

Bill's Boys

By David W. Cudhea

Undefeated but underdogs, the freshman track team faces its most important test of the season tomorrow afternoon in New Haven. Comparative scores mean much in track, so Yale, off its showings this year, is a definite favorite over the Yardlings

Freshman coach Bill McCarday, the first to admit that his team has several weak spots, principally in the weights and pole vault, with a lack of depth in several other events, says his team is going to New Haven with the idea of winning.

Bob Rittenberg is the freshman mainstay. He has consistently won three events, and will probably run on the crack mile relay team. Rittenberg, one of the outstanding hurdlers in the East, was in the finals of the B.A.A. hurdles, and should have little trouble at Yale.

Rittenburg can clear 22 feet in the broad jump, and, along with Sewell Hayes, gives the Crimson power in the high jump. Both can clear 6', and are consistent at 5'10".

The real depth and strength is in the 600 and mile relay. Captain Alan Howe, Warren Little, and Paul Grand highlight the Yardlings. The three finish so closely in the 600 that McCurdy would "hate to have to make a living betting who would win." The last time they ran together, Little won, with Howe a close second.

As a relay team, with Rittenburg the fourth man, they have soundly beaten Yale at the Boston Garden, and have broken the Harvard freshman record of 3:23 by 1.1 seconds. Little is the sleeper on the team, never having run track before he came here.

Dudley Uphoff could be the key to the Yale meet in the 1000. McCurdy thinks he could be a great runner, but so far this year has been hot and cold. Uphoff has apparently hit his stride, running his best 1000 of the year at Hanover. Behind him is Arnie Howe, a big question mark. Howe has had a foot injury all year, and may miss the Yale meet.

Dave Ingle is the distance man. Ingle, cross country captain, won the 1000, mile, and anchored the 220 lap relay against Brown. McCurdy thinks he is going to be "a great runner for Harvard." Marshall Childs is the number two miler.

Charlie Arena stacks up as the only high scorer in the dash, now that Herb Collins has been declared ineligible. Collins had attended B U. for a short period, and although he did not take any exams there, is ineligible in the eyes of the E.C.A.C.

Bill Chrisman heads the two milers, turning in his best time of 10:43 against Brown. Frank Nahigian, a newcomer to the team, has been running well.

McCurdy has high hopes for Carl Goldman, Al Rowlings, and Bill Zwilling as shot putters and weight men, although he admits that none of them have shown much yet. He maintains that if they learn the fundamentals, he'll have a strong entry in field events.

Whether they win at Yale or not, there's little doubt that the team will make a big addition to next year's varsity.