Panel Argues Struik Case

By Eric Amfitheatrof

Scrupulously careful to keep their blows just above the belt, Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, and Rep. Edmond J. Donlan (D-Suffolk), Chairman of the House Committee on Constitutional Law, debated around the trial of Dirk J. Struik at a Liberal Union panel discussion last night.

An audience of about 100, largely Mather partisans, heard him proclaim the ideal that "We are not afraid of ideas. We are ready to bet our lives on the superiority of our American system." Donlan asked that men "strive to make patriotism fashionable again," and advocated "a God-fearing community of friendly people."

Mather Hits Indictment

Struik, professor of Mathematics at M.I.T. suspended until the outcome of his trial, was indicted for conspiring to overthrow, by force and violence, the government of the United States and the government of the Commonwealth.

Mentioning, the second item of the bill of particulars delivered to Struik at the time of his attempt to quash the indictment against him--an item which says that Struik planned to advocate the overthrow of the government--Mather cracked. "It is so easy for some to know the inner workings of the minds of others. There is a striking contrast between the indictment of a professor of Mathematics at M.I.T. and of an official of the Communist party."

Donlan charged that "the very right to try a man on such a charge (conspiracy to overthrow the government) has been challenged. There is a feeling in certain influential quarters that under our constitution a man has the right to advocate and to conspire to overthrow the government by force and violence."

Donlan cited the Civil Liberties Union, represented by Albert S. Coolidge, Lecturer on Chemistry, as one of the "influential quarters." and went on to remark that "they have a remarkable ability for open field running," Coolidge then suggested that members of the Civil Liberties Union have changed their minds from the time of the Russian revolution to the present as a result of disillusionment.

Subtle Indoctrination

Charging that students are being won over to Communism by "subtle indoctrination," Donlan hit M.I.T., in connection with Struik, for letting him resume "his high post as professor ...as though nothing had happened."

Donlan attacked "those scientific minds who advocate the overthrow of our government" as an "elite class," members of "an exoteric cult which considers itself as outside of and above the law." Donlan compared these men with the scientists who condoned Hitler's medical experiments in the concentration camps.