Crimson Trackmen Stun B.U., 85-62, Despite Rain

By George S. Abrams

Mud, rain and injuries couldn't keep the varsity track team from turning in a stunning 85 to 62 win over previously undefeated Boston University Saturday in the Stadium. Holy Cross trailed with 26 points.

The Terriers entered the Stadium confidently Saturday, but when the final event, the shot put, was over, a tired, muddy B.U. squad realized that it had done little more than throw a slight scare into the Crimson.

The poor conditions appeared to work to the Crimson's advantage. True, B.U.'s Johnny Kelley ignored the weather in winning the mile and two mile runs, as expected, and weightman Cliff Blair added 11 points to the B.U. total. But the rest of the "finest track team in B.U. history" wasn't able to keep pace with the Crimson's above-average performances.

Most disappointed Terrier was Bill Smith, who was upset by the Crimson's Ronnie Berman in the best race of the day. Smith was expecting to win handily, after his 1:54 time last week, but a slow first lap and a brilliant stretch kick resulted in a yard victory for Berman.

Bob Twitchell and Bob Mello both won two events. Twitchell edged Pete Dow in the 100 and 220, with Dudley O'Leary, B.U.'s crack sprinter, a very surprised third in both races. Mello had a good deal of difficulty in the pole vault due to the weather, but eventually managed to clear 12 feet for an important first.

Dick Barwise, Bob Ray, Fred Ravreby and the mile relay team gave the Crimson its other victories. Barwise, jumping for the first time since this winter, cleared 6 feet, one inch to pick up five unexpected points, while Ray managed to throw the shot slightly over 47 feet despite a leg injury. Ravreby beat-out Mike Cooney of Holy Cross for the top spot in the javelin with a loss of 172 feet.

Sam Felton, former College weight star and present national hammer champion, broke the 20-year-old Penn Relay hammer record of 175 feet, 2 1/2 Inches Saturday with a toss of 183 feet, 2 3/8 Inches.