Tennis Team Tops Navy 6-3 In Season's Opener

The Crimson tennis squad opened its Eastern League season with an easy 6 to 3 win over Navy at Annapolis last Saturday.

But the touring tennis men fared poorly in two non-league matches earlier in the week. A strong North Carolina squad whipped the Crimson, 8 to 5, in its first match of the year last Monday and Tuesday, while Davidson, playing both 'A' and 'B' Harvard teams, won both matches, 7 to 2 and 8 to 1, Wednesday and Thursday.

Five of the six Crimson singles entries won against Navy. Dave Watts, number three man, lost afar spraining his ankle slightly during play, but Captain Charlie Ufford. John Rauh, Art French. Gerry Murphy, and Bill Goodman all triumphed. In the doubles, only the number two team of Rauh and French was able to win. Ufford-Goodman, and a sophomore combination of Terry King-Dick Stone both lost.

Coach Jack Barnaby, far from disappointed with the results of the trip, said last night he thought the Crimson team would have a good, if off-and-on league season. He was especially pleased with the play of Ufford, French, and Murphy, all veterans of last year's squad.