Nine Commits Five Errors, Loses to Bruin Varsity, 4-3

By Michael Maccoby

Five infield hobbles and a Brown righthander named Ken Moffat beat the varsity baseball team yesterday, 4 to 3. But the Crimson's fall to fourth place in Eastern League standings was the fault of neither pitcher Rufe Webb not of right fielder Ralph Robinson.

Webb allowed only seven hits and two earned runs one a steal of home by the Bfuins's Al Karb with two out in the seventh. And Robinson smashed a towering home run in the first scoring Ed Krinsky ahead of him, to cancel two previous--and unearned--Brown runs.

Robinson also starred in the field. His perfect peg from deep right field caught catcher Lou Murgo at third, and kept the Browns from making the first a really big inning. Webb's walk to lead off batter Karb started the trouble. Successive errors by Charlie Walsh and Hank Young, plus a missed double play sent two quick runs across the place.

An error gave the Crimson a run and a temporary edge in the sixth inning. Bernie Akillian singled and scored on right fielder Bob McCue's muff of Dick Clastiy's wind-blown fly. The Bruins, however, clinched the decision in the top of the eighth, combining two singles and a double steal (which had misfired twice before) for two more runs and the game.

It looked as though the varsity might score in the eighth. But left fielder Marty Badoian snared Ray Maesaka's line smash and doubled Akillian at second. HARVARD (3)   ab  r  h  po  a  e Krinsky, ss  4  1  0  6  0  1 Robinson, rf  3  2  2  1  4  0 Johnson, lb  3  0  0  1  6  0 Walsh (C), c  4  0  0  0  6  2 Akillian, if  4  0  3  0  3  0 Clasby, ef  3  0  0  0  0  0 Maesaka, 3b  4  0  0  2  1  1 Young, 2b  2  0  0  2  6  1 *Smith  1  0  0  0  0  0 Canepa, 2b  0  0  0  01  0 **Sadowski  1  0  1  0  0  0 Webb, p  4  0  0  3  0  0 Totals  33  3  6  15  27  5

*Batted for Young in 6th

**Batted for Canepa in 9th

*Batted for Young in 6th

**Batted for Canepa in 9th