City Council Will Put Fluorination To Popular Vote

Cambridge City Councillors temporarily settled an old controversy yesterday afternoon when they voted to put the question of fluorination of city water before the people for a popular vote. The Council also defeated Councilman John D. Lynch's proposal to bring the election of a City Manager before the Council.

Councillor John J. Foley made the motion for the referendum that ended two hours of bitter debate and saved fluorination from a possible veto. Foley asserted that the decision should be made by the people because "it's not up to laymen like me to go against the advice of the professional men who spoke here. I certainly can't approve it however if there is any danger of harmful effects."

Dr. Charles O'Rourke and Walter L. Cronin Civil Defense head talked to the Council for an hour on the reports of the cities that had fluorination emphasizing the fact that there had been no harmful results.

Florence Birmingham president of the Massachusetts Woman's Clinic Club then took the floor and attacked fluorination quoting many "Eminent authorities" on its harmful effects. She stated that fluorination causes cancer of the breast and weakened people's minds to make them susceptible to Communist attacks.

The Atkinson issue has been pocketed is the Sub-Committee on Finance for the last six weeks. The conflict had previously state mated several Council meetings.