Five House Crews Compete For Laurels This Afternoon

Five House Crews row at 5 p.m. this afternoon on the Charles in the finals of the House crew season. Winthrop, Kirkland, Eliot, Dunster and Leverett will all send their first House eights into a single race final over the mile course.

The Puritans undefeated so far in four races and defending champions are favored today, but will have strong opposition from both the Elephants and the Deacons. Winthrop stroked by Lee Henderson. And boasting for oarsmen who were varsity material until spring vacation have knocked off every other House crew in the preliminary races though its victory over Eliot was by only a few feet.

Eliot has turned in the best time of the season so far over the mile and has been bolstered since the last race by the addition of Clem Despard and Rupe Maynard both only recently demoted from the varsity. The Elephants have lost to Kirkland besides Winthrop.

The Deacons with a three and one record are also loaded with experienced oarsmen and stroked by Randy Harrison. Dunster, stroked by John Hart has beaten only Leverett while the Bunnies have lost to all the competing crews in today's regatta. However the Bunnies did win the consolation race by defeating Lowell Adams and Dudley and thus qualified to row in the finals.

Bert Haines 150 pound crew coach will start and referee the race and Carroll F. Getchell will be the head finish judge. The weather and wind will determine whether the race will be upstream or downstream.

House Golf

Dunster and Lowel won House golf matches played yesterday afternoon. The Funsters edged Leverett, 3 to 2 while the Bellboys triumphed 5 to 0 on a forfeit from Adams.

In the third match of the day Kirkland and Eliot were tied 2 to 2; the fifth and deciding match will be played Thursday.

The Yale College intramural golf champion will travel to Cambridge on Saturday to play the Harvard inter House winner. Neither of the contesting clubs has been picked as yet however.