Provost Buck Appointed as Member of Smith Trustees

University Provost Succeeds Wyzanski to Board Position

Provost Paul H. Buck has been appointed to the 16-man board of trustees of Smith College. He will fill the vacancy created by the resignation of Judge Charles E. Wyzanski, Jr. '27.

The appointment, which was announced May 10 by Mrs. R. Keith Kane, chairman of the board, will take effect from July of this year, and will last until July 1959.

Buck, Ph.D. '35, is the fifth University alumnus to be elected to the present Smith board. Other alumni now serving on the board are President Benjamin S. Wright. Ph.D. '25 of Northampton. Morris F. La Croix '10 of Boston. Franklin E. Parker 'IS, also of Boston, and Alexander I Henderson '13 of New York.

Buck Provost Since 1945

Buck has been provost of the University since 1945. In addition, he is Deans of the Faculty and a professor of History. In 1937, he wrote his famous "Road to Reunion," and in 1938 won the Pulitzer prize for History.

Later, in 1915. Buck chaired the committee appointed by President Conant which wrote "General Education in a Free Society."

In his new office, the provost will serve as one of 12 appointees, appointed by vote of the board. Four remaining members of the board are Smith graduates, elected by the college's alumnae.