Baseball Team Opposes Tufts Nine Here Today

Crimson Pitching Choice Lies Between Webb, Groper in Last Pre-Exam Game at Home

The varsity baseball nine, firmly, but not happily, occupying the Eastern League cellar after its dougle loss to Dartmouth Saturday, meets an off-and-on Tufts here at 3:45 p.m. today.

The Jumbos have rung up six wins and five losses so far this season, besides defeating Boston University and M.I.T., their only common opponents with the Crimson. B.U., however, trimmed the Tufts team in a return game, while Harvard only managed to tie the Terriers.

Worcester Tech, a fairly powerful small college nine, edged out the Jumbos in their most recent game, 4 to 2, and unless the team has one of its fairly uncommon "hot" games, the Crimson should end its own short losing streak.

Webb May Start

Coach Stuffy McInnis has not decided on his starting pitcher yet, but the choice lies between Rufe Webb and sophomore relief hurler Pat Groper. Webb has not worked since the M.I.T. game two weeks ago, and is about due to start, while Groper, who pitched two innings of relief against Army in the season's opener, may be getting his first starting choice.

The Tufts coach, John Ricker, will probably start Dave Lincoln, a right-hander who has a four and three record, with wins over Bates, B.U., Bowdoin, and the Engineers. The Jumbo's nine now has four men batting above the 300 mark.

The Crimson's centerfield position may have another gardener today if Ricker decides to pitch a left-hander. After using Charlie Walsh, Dick Clasby, and Bob Smith there last Saturday, McInnis may insert sophomore Dick Scheer against a port-sider. Otherwise, the line-up will remain the same as usual, with the exception of shortstop. There, junior Walt Greeley may get the nod in place of Ed Krinsky.