Green Is For Danger

At the Beacon Hill

By Michael Maccosy

When they feel like it, the British do a remarkable job of making fun of themselves. And, of course, they have a lot to work with. In Green is for Danger, a re-release, Alastair Sim does more damage to Scotland Yard than did scores of Sherlock Holmes stories.

As the bumbling Yard Inspector, Sim is called in to investigate two hospital deaths. Up to the point where Sim first places his grimy handkerchief on the scalpel, all the actors have been scurrying around in deadly seriousness. After this, their poker faces are only foils for Sim's bluffing and frothing. Trevor Howard in particular, the master of the restrained emotions, tries to keep the mystery suitably sinister; but he is no match for Sim's buffoonery.

As a matter of fact, Sim's huge talent has been kept hidden too long by the even larger reputation of Alec Guinness. There is no need for any rivalry here. While Guinness is the acknowledged master of underplayed comedy, no one should dispute Sim's title as the king of the hams. Especially in a situation where everyone else plays it straight, Sim is tremendously funny.

Also funny, in a completely different way, is Rex Harrison in the co-feature, Notorious Gentlemen. Harrison plays a young ne'r-do-well of the 30's who is "sent down" from Oxford, fired from a few jobs, and fined in court for a trivial offense. Not satisfied with all this, Harrison drives through at least four women, a small fortune, and some international auto races, finally ending up as a war casualty. The plot is simple, little more than the above, and enjoyable.