Haines Retires as 150's Crew Coach

After a 33-year association with Harvard crew, Bert Haines, the "dean of American lightweight rowing," announced his retirement last night as 150-pound crew coach to his three lightweight crews at the 1952 dinner.

No successor to Haines has been appointed, and there will probably be no announcement of a new coach until next fall.

Also at the dinner, Lindy Waltkins, number seven man on the varsity boat, was awarded the Henry Herbert Haines Trophy as the man who best exemplifies the spirit of the 150-lb, crew. This is the second year the award has been presented.

The 74-year old coach choked with emotion as he stood up to speak. "I'd better say something," he commented, "while I'm still on my feet." He praised the crews for their excellent records this year; the J.V. is undefeated and the varsity lost only to Pennsylvania.

Ted House, captain of the varsity, presented Haines with a miniature shell in his honor. At the E.A.R.C. regatta at Princeton, Haines had also received an honorary plaque, as a gesture of admiration from the Crew Coaches Organization of America.