Ward Will Start For Nine Against Tough Crusaders

By David W. Cudhea

It took a spectacular finish for the varsity baseball team to beat Tufts in the thirteenth inning Thursday, and it will be even more dramatic if the team can toppie Holy Cross at Worcester today.

But the chances are that Jack Barry's nine may not give the Crimson a chance for late inning frolics. With an acepitcher, Jim O'Neill, and a hard-hitting lineup, the Crusaders are used to tight ball games, in which they often come out on top.

Ward Goes for Crimson

The Crimson's number one pitcher Bob Ward, will be starting this afternoon. Easily the top man on the local pitching staff, Ward set Northeastern down on three hits in his last workout here a week ago Wednesday. So far this year, though, he has been tested only briefly against the Purple's batters. If he has a good day, the Crimson's weak-hitting squad may be able to pull it out.

On the other hand, Crusader Coach Barry may well have his own ace to offer in return. Chances are, since the Crimson only lost, 3 to 1, in the last game, that Barry will start his own lead man O'Neill. came on in relief in the sixth inning of the first game and held the Crimson scoreless for the last three innings.

Stuffy Stands Pat

The Crimson lineup will remain the same as it appeared in Thursday's game with Tufts, with the probable exception of the shortstop position. There Walt Greeley took over for Ed Krinsky, but sophomore Krinsky may be back in his usual spot. Coach Stuffy McInnis will probably keep first baseman Al Switzer on the bench, even though Switzer's pinch-hit double broke up the Tufts game. It's unfortunate for Switzer that the team's leading batter, Russ Johnson now occupies the first base spot.

The probale lineup:

Smith, of; Robinson, rf; Johnson, 1b; Walsh, c; Akillian, lf; Wise, 3b; Young, 2b; Krinsky, as; Ward. p