Indians Beat Tennismen, 5-4, But Lose Non-League Match

Clinching its unofficial title as the best team in New England, the varsity tennis team nevertheless dropped to third place in the Eastern intercollegiate Tennis League after its match Saturday at Dart-mouth. In the official E.I.T.L. match of six singles and three doubles, the Indians best the Crimson, 5 to 4, but lost, 9 to 6, in the regularly scheduled non-league contest.

Because of this arrangement, the Crimson ended the season with an 11 and 2 overall record, without a loss to a New England school. In the E.I.T.L., however, the Crimson wound up with a 4-2 record, behind both undefeated Dart-mouth and Princeton, which do not play each other.

At Hanover Saturday, the top three men all won for the Crimson, while the next three lost, reversing the usual Crimson trend of getting victories lower down in the lineup. Both John Rauh at one and Captain Charlie Ufford at a two won in three sets, while Art French took only two to defeat his opponent. In doubles, only the first team of Ufford and Bill Goodman won in the top three matches.

In the non-league match, however, Goodman, Terry King, and Herb Stone playing seven, nine, and ten, all won easily. Don Bossart, and Mike Ward, and Steven Sonnabend and Frank Goodman also won their fourth and fifth doubles matches.

The Yardling team also dropped a close one to the Dartmouth freshmen, 5 to 4, at Hanover Saturday. In singles, only Dan Mayers and Bob Crouch won in the fifth and sixth spots. Both took long three-set matches. The Crimson won two out of the three doubles matches, however, in two sets. Geoff Ball and Mayers won at two and Mike Levinson and Ed Koerner triumphed at three. In the deciding match of the day, Captain Alex Haegler and Crouch lost, 6-3, 3-6, 3-6, to the Indian freshmen. The freshmen ended the season with a 5-4 record.