End of Pepsi-Cola Scholars Shows Harvard Led All Other Colleges

Harvard was by far and away the most popular choice of the 489 Pepsi-Cola scholars chosen during the years 1945-48, a report on the scholarship program has revealed. The Program was discontinued in 1948 and the last of the winners graduates this month, thus prompting the scholarship board to make its evaluation of the entire program.

Just under ten percent of the 489 men and women took the Pepsi-Cola guarantee of all tuition paid and went off to Harvard, the report stated. It did not list the figures for those who attended women's colleges, but some winners presumably did enter Radcliffe.

Second only to Harvard in its ability to draw off the cream of high and prep school crop was Stanford. The western school's 26, however, was far behind the 43 men who attended Harvard.

M.I.T. was the second-highest eastern college. Yale managed to draw 19, while Chicago took 15 of them. Other high-ranking schools were Cornell with 13 and Notre Dame with 11.

Nine of the winners decided to enter Princeton.

All in all the Pepsi scholars entered 191 different schools.

The plan guaranteed all winners the cost of tuition at whatever school they decided to attend. With expense no object, many attended out-of-state colleges and the largest single number cause to Harvard. The scholarships, which were gives on the basis of a special exam followed up by the College Ex trance exam, also provided an allowance of $25 a month and traveling expenses.

Twenty-two Pepsi-Cola scholars entered Harvard with the Class of 1952. This month they are graduating, after enduring four years of weary jokes about bottle caps and straws, but, as one literarily, inclined Pepsi scholar so aptly said, "It was worth it."