Tennis Team Wins 8th, Upsetting Davidson, 6-3

By Jere Broh-kahn

"I really relaxed for the first time this year," Charlie Ufford said yesterday, and the varsity tennis captain proved his point by leading his team to a 6 to 3 victory over Davidson at Soldiers Field. Ufford played only four sets to win two matches, at first singles and at first doubles with Bill Goodman, as the Crimson avenged a previous 7 to 2 beating on the Wildeats' home court during the varsity's spring vacation southern trip.

John Rauh and Don Bossart also notched two victories apiece yesterday teaming together at the third doubles and winning their singles matches at two and six respectively. The other Crimson victor was Art French at third singles.

For a while yesterday it looked as if the Crimson would clinch the match, its eighth straight victory, in singles play. Bossart, Ufford, and Rauh walked off the court in that order after defeating their opponents in straight sets, and when French pulled his match out after dropping the first set, the varsity had a 4 to 0 lead.

Doubles Victors

But Dave Watts lost his match at number five in three sets, and Gene Mann playing fourth, dropped a heartbreaker after leading, 5-4, in the third set. Coach Jack Barnaby had to put in his three top doubles teams to secure the victory, with two of them winning in two sets.

Ufford was hitting the ball hard and placing his shots well to beat Lacy Keesler, to whom he lost down south in the first Davidson match. Rauh also played the lines beautifully to upset John Bremer, who had beaten him previously. French, Bossart, and Goodman in the doubles all showed perfect form on their overhead smashes to drop their opponents.

The summary: Ufford (H) defeated L. Keesler, 7-5, 6-3: Rauh (H) defeated Bremer, 6-3, 7-5: French (H) defeated Strand, 3-6, 7-5, 6-4; D. Keesler (D) defeated Mann. 9-7, 4-6, 8-6: Clark (D) defeated Watts, 4-6, 6-4, 6-1: Bossart (H) defeated Dudley, 6-2, 6-1.

Doubles: Ufford and Goodman (H) defeated D. Keesler and Strand, 6-3, 6-2; L. Keesler and Bremer (D) defeated French and Watts, 6-2, 6-3; Rauh and Bossart (H) defeated Dudley and Snead, 6-2, 6-2.