A QUESTION OF TASTE

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I believe it is one of the assets of the U.S. that you can criticize freely anyone you want, on any point you disagree with him. I am glad that Mr. W. Parker Dwelley has sent his strong objections to the form the course Social Science 111 was conducted, not because I agree with him but because it indicates that there is someone with an independent spirit who takes his trouble to check up on his teachers. However, I don't believe that his self righteous "vomiting feeling in my stomach" is justified by the statistics he has or by the opinions he holds.

At least he must give one credit to Mr. Fairbands and the other members of the faculty: they have studied and tried their best to present the facts to their students. And--you must have in mind another factor. That Mr. Fairbank has just as much of a right to hold the opinions he has as Mr. Dwelly. It is a most tasteless and dis-considerate--not to say intolerant--attitude to insult him on this account.

I wish to add that Mr. Dwelley has had two (2) opportunities to voice his objections and show his feelings:

The first one in public during the last class when the teachers giving the course submitted themselves to a period of questions and answers for all the students present.

The second in private, when the teachers of the course handed out a sheet to all the students, and asked them to state their opinions and voice their criticisms.

I find it extremely cruel not to have used these means first, and discharged all the gripes, rather than defame so excellent a teacher as Mr. Fairbank is. (name withheld by request)