Crusaders Score Win Over Varsity Golfers

With the match undecided until the final shot of the final round, the varsity golf team finally went down to a 4 to 3 defeat at the hands of Holy Cross yesterday afternoon at the Dedham Country Club.

Rain clouds burst as Mitch Rosenholtz, fifth man, and his opponent, Crusader Tucker Campbell, went into the 17th hole. Rosenholtz stood two down. Playing calmly in spite of the rain, the Crimson senior won both of the final holes to tie the match and the meet. He could not hold the pace, however, and lost on the first extra hole.

Dusty Burke, first man, lost a closely fought match to Holy Cross' Paul Hainey by a 1 up score. Hainey played the Dedham links as if he owned them, firing a 72 to Burke's 75.

Low scorer for Harvard was Captain Paul Welssman, whose 73 beat Crusader second man Bob Larkin 3 and 2. Fourth man Bill Timpson, shooting his third 74 in four matches, downed John Tosca 3 and 2. Dave Hedberg, playing fourth, lost 3 and 1 to Holy Cross' Bob Daley.

Jack Brophy, with a 76, was not extended in hanging up a 5 and 3 win over Crusader sixth man Joe Sprague. Holy Cross seventh man Bob Kelley beat George Wheeling 2 and 1.

Freshmen Play Exeter

The Yardling golf squad meets Exeter this afternoon at the New Hampshire school's home course. Starting for Harvard will be Bruce Thurmond, Pete Malkin. John Parsons, Jim Jones, Dave Strassler, and John Walsh.