Tarheel Tennis Squad Wins, Breaks Crimson Streak, 5-4

By Jere Broh-kahn

"As Dimaggio goes, so go the Yankees," sportswriters used to say, meaning that the big man had to produce to make a winning ball club. The varsity tennis team learned that to their regret yesterday, when the number one man, Captain Charlie Ufford, fell down in both his singles and doubles matches as the team lost (its first match in ten) a 5 to 4 heartbreaker to North Carolina.

Ufford, who had rung up a remarkable performance against Davidson Monday to upset the visitors, was way off his game yesterday. It took spectacular play by his teammate, Bill Goodman, to extend the deciding first doubles match to even three sets, but the North Carolina duo of Del Sylvia and Sam Handel made fewer mistakes in the end and won going away.

Victories in the singles by John Rauh, Dave Watts, and Don Bossart kept the Crimson in contention early in the match. With the first two winning in straight sets at second and fifth singles, the varsity jumped off to an early lead. But Ufford and Gene Mann at four both lost in two sets, and though Art French at three looked for a while as if he would force his opponent into three sets, he ended up losing, 7-5, 3-6, to put the Crimson behind, 3 to 2.

Don Bossart, the sixth singles player, finally won a hectic three-set match to pull the teams into a tie, long after the doubles play had already started. Bossart won his first set, blew a big lead to lose the second, and then rallied after falling behind four match points in the third.

With two doubles victories necessary to win the match, Ufford and Goodman started off well, sweeping the first set, 6-2. They began to play sloppily in the second, however, and lost it, 6-4. The finale (which came after French and Watts lost at second doubles) was a real disappointment for the whole team, since the Crimson pair had 3-0 and 4-2 leads before blowing it, 6-4. Rauh and Bossart won an anticlimactic three-set victory in the third doubles.